In our student-led small-group, we held a dynamic discussion framed by the following questions:
- How is sex viewed in society, and what are the repercussions? Is it glorified? Vilified? Does it depend?
- Should we ask about pleasure and drive? When?
- When should we have this deeper discussion of sexual health, including pleasure and past trauma? Annual physical?
- Should we ask about past bad experiences? About safety? Past trauma? If they feel pressure (both with partners and in society)?
- What is the role of porn in this conversation? What are the benefits/detriments of bringing this up with patients?
- Who should be educating children on this topic? Parents? Physicians?
- What’s primary care’s role in this broader conversation on sexual health? Creating a space for people to share? Connecting people to services?