In our student-led small-group, we held a dynamic discussion framed by the following questions:
- What is race? What is ethnicity? How do they differ?
- How does self-identification play into it, or physician ‘eye-balling’? Should we use a different definition?
- What are the pros and cons of race-based medicine?
- Why do you think race-based medicine was used?
- Does race-based medicine undermine physician-patient relationship? Build racism?
- CDC Statistic. What do you think the reasoning is behind the numbers?
- SES, access to care etc.
- Acute Angle Glaucoma (east asian eye shape), GFR (muscle mass). Should race play a role in either of these situations? Why or why not? How are these examples similar or different?
- Is there a solution? If so, what?